Thursday, August 7

He Almost Beat Favre

Well, he didn't sign with the Jets and he doesn't wear number four (I guess it was already taken) but it's now official: Chad Reed is racing with Rockstar Makita Suzuki next year. Suzuki just sent us the press release and then I stole it from Racer X. As you can see, we won't get Chaddy Daddy for the nationals next year, but I bet if he gets an itch to try one (like he wants to do right now) Roger D and the crew will have a bike ready for him. Here's the official part:

Chad Reed Signs with Rockstar Makita Suzuki

2008 AMA Supercross Champion, Chad Reed, Joins Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki.

Brea, CA (August 6, 2008) - American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) announced today that they have signed current AMA Supercross Champion, Chad Reed, to join the Rockstar Makita Suzuki factory race team for 2009. Reed will race the 2009 AMA Supercross series and other selected events in the United States as well as compete in supercross events in his home country of Australia aboard his Suzuki EFI RM-Z450.

“We have a great heritage in racing here at American Suzuki,” said Mel Harris of ASMC. “Suzuki has been dominant in the road racing arena for several years and with the introduction of the RM-Z450 and the help of Ricky Carmichael, Roger DeCoster and our dedicated team, we’ve been able to elevate our position in supercross and motocross to that championship level. The signing of Chad helps us reinforce our position and goals for the future of Suzuki racing. We are very happy to have Chad join our team.”

Chad Reed, 26, began racing professionally in the United States in 2002 and since then he’s earned two AMA Supercross Championships (2004 & 2008), an AMA 125cc East Region Championship (2002) and won the 2004 US Open. Over the last six years he has amassed a total of 42 AMA wins and 82 podiums.

“I’m extremely excited to be starting a new chapter in my career and to be working with Roger DeCoster and Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki,” said Reed. “It will be a whole new experience for me which I’m really looking forward to. I rode Suzukis for a good part of my amateur career and have some great memories from then and now I’m excited to be racing the new Suzuki EFI RM-Z450. I believe this bike and my new team have great potential and I couldn’t be happier.”

“I am very excited to have been able to sign Chad Reed to Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki,” said team manager, Roger DeCoster. “Our team has worked very hard to get to the level we are at today and I’m glad we’ve been able to secure a rider with such accomplishments and determination as Chad so that we may continue to be top contenders. Our sponsors have been extremely supportive over the years and I’m happy that we are able to provide them a top-level rider and team to support him.”

Reed’s first race with Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki will most likely be the Rockstar Energy Drink US Open at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on October 10th through 12th.

For more information on all of Suzuki’s race teams, please log on to www.teamsuzuki.com

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully he'll be chuggin' the sugar-free Rockstars with his Jack Daniels. Guy's a friggin' pig now.

Anonymous said...

somebody needs to lay off the haterade. or was it gayterade?

either way, bubba better start chugging the non-70%-anti-injury-excuse-erade...

Anonymous said...

good news for both reed and suzuki. good things happen with change. 22/1 will be hanging a 3rd number 1 plate up next may.

ps... the guy at the top needs to look at his wedding photo to see a friggin' pig

Jason Weigandt said...

Wow you guys are vicious....

Anonymous said...

He isnt fat, but that smile is faker than his wifes funbags.

yamalink said...

Suzuki obviously had no big bike sx contender, what with Alessi being a fish out of water indoors; okay, he may have done well in Daytona.

Reed takes sx crown.
Alessi takes nat crown.

Wonder if this will help rmz sales...you know Dungey's twofiddyeff will take the nat title, too.

Anonymous said...

I believe Chad's smile is sincere. Racing will be awesome in 2009!

Anonymous said...

Reedy + fuel injection = wins... Oh annoy mouse... aka Bubbles can't seem to get a break... what did Jack ever do to you? :-)

Anonymous said...

"Favre" not farve. I hope the best for reed but i don't see a championship with #7 and #2 in the mix.

yamalink said...

#2 in 09 will win a race, maybe, but it'll be a year of crashing. #2 in 10 will be a championship, that's for sure.

I also sadly predict my fave, #14, will retire after 09 since 2, 7 and 22, and maybe 28, will occupy the box.

Anyone catch the March GNCC on Versus this afternoon with Weege and Hannah?

Jason Weigandt said...

Yamalink,
I caught the GNCC on Versus. We did an awesome job!

yamalink said...

Weege,

I did not know the race was in March (at least that's what my Info Button told me) and I either forgot the results from reading them online or, well, I just forgot, so that made the race "new" to me.

Yep a great job for the 30 minutes of air time. I laughed at the Moto Tees commercials. Those ATV racers are a different breed, that's for sure. Talented, yes. Makes me want to grow a mullet. Yes times 100!

Anonymous said...

Stewart could pull over wait for Reed and then pass him and pull away (Deja VU) :)

IndianDuneser